Started in November 2011, Day hospice provides supportive care to people living with a progressive illness, as well as to their families and caregivers. It is located in a spacious and specifically designated area at Agape House.
The aims of Day Hospice are:
- To focus on patients' quality of life by attending to their physical, psychological, emotional and social needs
- To provide an opportunity for patients to socialize with other patients and our volunteers in a fun and friendly environment
- To be a continuing source of support by offering patients regular opportunities to speak to our nurses
- To offer a wide variety of activities and entertainment
- To enable patients to remain at home, and to give their caregivers a regular period of respite
Day hospice provides an opportunity for a change of scenery, a chance to talk to other people and, if desired, to take part in therapeutic and creative activities. It also allows caregivers at home to have a break and can provide fresh perspectives to care and support. It gives an opportunity for patients to talk about their illness and how it is affecting them and their families.
Core Services at day hospice:
- Art Therapy
- Complementary Therapies
- Bereavement Counseling
- Medical Advice and Support
A morning snack, coffee, tea and lunch are provided. This service is free of charge to participants.